What is a local land charges search?

A local land charge search is undertaken as part of the conveyancing process when a property or a parcel of land is being purchased, leased or re-mortgaged.

The reason for the search is to find out about any restriction or legal obligations against the search site. 

A full local authority search usually comprises of two elements: 

  • LLC1
  • CON 29 ‘Required’ 

The LLC1 (Local Land Charges 1) form is required for a search of the Local Land Charges Register entries held against the land or property. These include: 

  • Tree preservation orders;
  • Planning agreements;
  • Conservation areas;
  • Listed buildings; 

This form is dealt with by the relevant District/Borough Council - when calling their main offices ask for the land charges team.

West Suffolk Council
Telephone: 01284 757656 

Local Land Charges
West Suffolk House
Western Way
Bury St Edmunds IP33 3YU

East Suffolk Council
Telephone: 01394 444301

Land Charges
East Suffolk Council
4 Canning Road
NR33 0EQ

Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Councils
Telephone: 01449 724690/ 01449 724842
Endeavour House
8 Russell Road
From Thursday 20 January 2022, we will no longer provide a local land charges service.
After this date, our Local Land Charges Register will have migrated to HM Land Registry's national register. You will be able to access their new digital service via the HM Land Registry Portal, Business Gateway or via GOV.UK's local land charges search service.
We will continue to respond to CON29 enquiries.

Ipswich Borough Council
Telephone: 01473 432340

Grafton House
15-17 Russell Road
Ipswich IP1 2DE

The CON 29 (Conveyancing 29) form raises standard “Required” and “Optional” enquiries regarding the land or property.

“Required” enquiries include: 

  • Development Plans;
  • Maintenance of Roads;
  • Road Schemes;
  • Outstanding Notices; 
  • Public Rights of Way

“Optional” enquiries include: 

  • Hedgerows;
  • Commons and Village Greens. 

Please note that these forms can also be submitted separately to the relevant District/Borough Council.